Friday, October 17, 2008

I should have known

Here's an email my mother-in-law received from her bishop...  


 fyi

Subject: Re: President Boyd K. Packer 10/12/08

It appears that Elder Packer did speak in his ward last Sunday but the transcription is not completely accurate regarding what he said.  It is the transcriber's interpretation of what he said.  That is, a well-meaning ward member transcribed Elder Packer's comments and sent it out, but the transcription contains some errors and was not approved for distribution by Elder Packer.  Nonetheless, it is a very sobering talk especially when coupled with his conference talk about the sufferings the early saints endured.  (name withheld for privacy purposes)



I'm always doubtful whenever I receive anything forwarded in emails-- No matter how truthful it sounds, it's almost never true. 


Such is the case with this account of President Packer's talk that I received in an email. This morning I called the church offices and spoke personally with President Packer's secretary to ask about the accuracy of this email.


She confirmed that he did, in fact, speak to his ward last week about basic welfare and preparedness principles. But she was alarmed that this person in his ward took notes and wrote down what he said in the HER words, NOT President Packer's. 


They have taken up the practice of recording him every time he speaks because this is something that happens often so they always need an accurate record.


One example of an inaccuracy is in the portion of this email where the transcriber states:


"And as judges in Israel, the Bishop will respond. The time for financial largess in our ward activities is over.' [President Packer then turned directly to our Bishop and counseled him that last year's youth trip to Nauvoo, which was, President Packer said, a great opportunity for testimony building and missionary work, will not happen again. Times of/for that sort of expense in the Church are past.]"


In truth, what really happened is that he spoke of some extravagant homes that have been built up around his rather modest one and how the ward might not be able to go to Nauvoo this year, then he turned to the bishop and said that the bishop was the judge in Israel here, and that decision would be up to him.


President Packer's secretary said that the real Meat from President Packer, and the intended message for the world is in last week's General Conference. And that if we really want to know what message he would have us hear, we need to listen to THAT talk, and throw THIS account of his talk away.


Sincerely,


(name withheld for privacy purposes)



3 comments:

Melanie said...

Don't you hate it when people do stuff like that. It's pretty sad that they have to record him each time he talks so dingbats like, said person, don't do exactly what he/she did. LAME!

Take it or leave it, it was still an inspiring message. Made me think anyway.

Thanks for the recall. It's always nice to know the truth.

Amy said...

Glad to here maybe that wasn't the whole truth it freaked me out and made me want to start shopping at thrift stores instead of the mall (not that it's a bad thing because I do it all the time). On another note I watched season 3 of the office tonight because Kevin was in a case. Every time I saw Stanley I laughed because you impersinate (sp) him so good. You have to do it again next time I see you. I was laughing so hard :)!

Melanie said...

Oh and TAG, TAG, TAG, TAG, TAG.

Go to my blog to see what the heck I am talking about.