Monday, February 4, 2008

The Secret Life of Butterflies


Logan's our little biologist.  He got a "Caterpillar to Butterfly Kit" from Nana and Papa for Christmas.  It has been an amazing thing to watch the caterpillars eat and eat and get so fat, make their cocoons, and finally turn into beautiful butterflies.  There were times that Logan wouldn't even want to leave the house, in fear that he would miss out on one of them emerging from their cocoons.   In the pamphlet of instructions, it said that the butterflies' life span is about 2 weeks, so I thought, sounds like my kind of pet!  Things were going great!  Unfortunately, the pamphlet did not mention anything about them reproducing.  So, the other day, Logan's like, "Mom, they laid eggs!" Rob and I just dismissed it, chuckling at Logan's imagination. So, the next morning, while we were getting ready for church,  Logan informs us, "The eggs HATCHED!!"  So, my curiosity got the best of me, and no joke, there were these tiny, little baby caterpillars on my countertop!  Talk about short gestational period!   Anyways, now we're in a bit of a predicament.  We have no food to feed these tiny little caterpillars and frankly, I think the butterflies have lived a full enough life!   They've definitely been having "fun", if you know what I mean!  I told Logan that it's time to put them outside.  "But they'll die!"  (insert mommy's heart breaking right now)  "Sweetie, we don't have any food to feed their babies."  He told me to call the place that Nana got them from and ask them for the recipe of their food, so we can make them some.  LOL   Isn't there like a 'butterfly' expert I can call?    This is going to be a tough lesson on the "Circle of Life"  LOL Wish me luck!

3 comments:

April said...

look on the internet to see what catipillers eat- this might be a fun learning moment for Logan- I can tell you aren't too excited about your new pets- me either- I refuse to even get started on pets with Kenzie- no dog- our neighbors all have enough to spare

but good luck- Logan might really like taking care of the creatures though- time to get a cage- lol

The Wright Stuff said...

No, seriously. The baby caterpillars are like the size of a grain of sand. If we move them into a jar or whatever, they'll die. I think it's time to "FREE WILLY" ! LOL
They came with this special food that helps them get really fat really fast. We have already checked out about 8 books from the library on caterpillars and butterflies. I think we should have just let them out into the wild right after they emerged, but Logan was not ready. Besides, there's over a foot of snow outside, so they would have died anyway. So, by being too nice to these butterflies, they have made themselves comfortable and have gone about their life cycle. All in our house! LOL

Heather said...

Can't you just milk the momma butterfly???? hahaha Love you Jaynee (the original)

Heather

www.heathershane.blogspot.com

Can I link you to my page?